Skip to main content

One Last Day

"How was your day?" ,I asked apprehensively  . "It was exactly like any other" , replied my father. I was mildly surprised. There had to have been at least something different. This was to be his last day at work. He was retiring from active service that day after a long stint at Ashok Leyland. 
We were headed for the party his colleagues were throwing for him. We were driving there in his nice air conditioned car. This was a long cherished dream of his, owning a car . Back when I was in school, my father used to drop us , my brother and me on a two wheeler. I remember how excited our whole family became , when we progressed from a TVS champ with  a baby seat attached at the front to a proper motor cycle , with four gears that had a fuel tank in the front that two small kids could sit on . He didn't know how to ride such a bike but he was confident that he could learn it. A small time mechanic from a nearby shop offered to teach him and pretty soon he was all set. He never went very fast but he wasn't very slow either. It was the greatest thrill for me, to get  a good hold on the seemingly huge handle bar (compared to the TVS)  and pretend that I was assisting with the driving too. We would go places , the four of us on that motor cycle. It was such a big deal to us back then.

   Such small improvements were always there. My father also decided to get himself another degree while he was working. The idea had seemed so outlandish to me back then, that full grownups ought to sometimes take exams too. He could often be found  thumbing his way through thick books on Law and photocopies with extremely small font. My mother had decided to join a similar pursuit as well.  It so happened one day that all four of us had an exam on the same day and we were all up at the break of dawn trying to cram. 

It sometimes feels like all that was from another age.  Time as it always does flew past so quickly that i sometimes wonder if the memories i have are real or just from another imagined world.  My brother and I have grown far too big to fit atop the fuel tank of a bike, we have jobs now that give us time for little else, mother has decided to watch over us from up above and here we were all of a sudden on father's last day at work.  

To hear his colleagues speak about him was to hear about a whole new side of a man we thought we knew completely. My brother for one, having been used to constant father-son disagreements and arguments, must have been quite stunned to see that one of  father’s closest companions and coffee –break friends was a guy who seemed around his own age. Father’s boss told us a heartwarming story of how he had been willing to forego his last salary increment and his friends recalled how even the company’s MD used to consult with him for cricket tactics in his playing days. “A cricketer at heart’, quipped another ,who appreciated his quiet dedication.

Bouquets and plaques were given, many more anecdotes were recited, a marvelous dinner was eaten and that was all.The last day had come to an end. Like my father said in his speech that day, this job had given him everything.  Starting out with a meagre salary of a hundred rupees a month, he had risen to the level of being able to support  both his children through college during times when the prices of everything had at least tripled or  quadrupled. As we drove back home that day, I asked my father what he was going to miss most about office. “Everything”, he said , “but anything is good only so long it has to come to an end one day”. He also seemed to look forward to all the time he would suddenly have on his hands.

>>This appeared first on a community newsletter called  'Sabha News' << 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George Eliot's Middlemarch

For  these past few months , in the evenings after work and on major parts of the weekends, i have been traveling   to 19th century England , to the provincial town of Middlemarch , by the enchanting words of George Eliot. I severely miss these trips now that i have finished reading this book . I wish i could say that I thoroughly enjoyed it from the very  beginning. Far from it. The narrative was at first so ridiculously hard to follow, with sentences beginning at the top of a kindle page and seeming to end only at the corner of the next. The characters seemed ordinary and boring or "provincial", to borrow the more sophisticated word from the subtitle of the book - a study of provincial life. Romance as always has the quality to propel the most ordinary of stories forward.  And in this epic we read about as many as three of them. The many small stories in this book are set in the times of the rich landed gentry who seemed to do absolutely no work other ...

The end of an era of love

It's a normal school day and I wake up at 7 am to the sound of my mother coaxing my brother and me to get up.  She has better luck with me as my brother refuses to stir.  I come down to the sound of Bombay jayashree singing 'kanden seethaiyai'.  It's a warm day as usual and my parents are bustling about so as to allow my brother and me the luxury of a few more minutes of sleep.  A tumbler filled with steaming hot Boost awaits me as I reluctantly make my way to the wash basin and the mass of tooth brushes. There are always more tooth brushes than there are people in my house. I methodically scan the bathroom entrance to see if there are any cockroaches visible to the naked eye.  I'm relieved to find none. I make my way to the kitchen and pick up my tumbler. I carry it to the living room, sit myself down on the sofa and try to down the dreadful thing in one gulp.  Somehow I spill it entirely on top of the sofa. The milk starts settling into the cushion. I fr...

Animals and their whims

Animal lovers are often asked to state categorically if they are dog people or cat people. I personally find this choice quite a difficult one to make. The answer to that question , is also supposed to reveal certain hidden character traits. Dog people crave for loyalty, cat people are proud etc.  This sort of psycho-analysis , i will leave to the more intellectually equipped. Truth is , if you know them both well , you cant really pick one. These are some of my my memorable experiences with animals. 1.Having had yet another unproductively long day at work (i am a "software type"), trying to figure out just why my code refused to run even though i had all but whipped it , I was lying on my bed pondering vaguely  about things as random as, trying to acquire a helicopter to avoid traffic like Top Gear's Richard Hammond , whether 25 can be considered a reasonable retirement age, and how car manufacturers, as a rule , always pick the most annoying music to be playe...