Skip to main content

About a pile of laundry

There's a pile of unfolded clothes lying on an interesting piece of furniture, a fold-able mattress that can be packed into its own bag which can be closed securely with a zip that goes all around . The newly laundered clothes are just lying on top of this mattress , waiting to be folded. Given the track record in our house, this set of clothes will spend at least 5 more days in its current location . Much as I would love to just quickly fold them as soon as they are out of the washing machine , I have never been able to get to it sooner than 5 days after they've been lying there. It has become especially convenient to have a ready-made place for the exclusive use of heaping freshly laundered clothes.

Previously they used to have to be thrown on the sofa and moved around every time we wanted to use the sofa(which as one imagines , is quite often). When the laundry had to be taken two floors down to the shared washing machines in the building of our previous rented apartment , they would sit in the laundry bag  till it became necessary to pull everything out to access one or the other item of clothing that was urgently required and which was inevitably at the bottom of the pile.

This new resting place for the washed clothes allows the convenience of them being out of the way ,because we never used the neatly folded mattress as another seat in the living room as we had originally envisioned. Mainly because you couldn't sit casually on it without sliding off and falling. It wasn't meant to be sat on I suppose. Which is quite a waste really . But its quietly serving the purpose of being the landing zone for the washed clothes before they are sent to the clothes closet. And since the clothes now have a pride of place and do not seem like they are getting in the way of every day life, it also serves the purpose of making me feel less guilty for not folding them .Now you may wonder why I am the one who has to fold them/feel guilty about folding them in the first place. That's because it does not bother my husband at all. He would wax philosophical about the futility of the chore , about it being an endless cycle and the convenience of just grabbing whatever is needed from this pile and thereby also steadily emptying it and making place for the next batch of laundry.

And I believe that's all I have to say about that .

It's the last day of the Memorial day long weekend holiday here in the United States. Most of the people I know are huddled safely in their homes , trying their best not to catch the corona virus and going about their lives. Tomorrow the work day grind will start again and I will do my bit to help Appian sell its "Workforce Safety and Readiness" application. And hopefully the state of calm will continue to prevail for some more time to come.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George Eliot's Middlemarch

For  these past few months , in the evenings after work and on major parts of the weekends, i have been traveling   to 19th century England , to the provincial town of Middlemarch , by the enchanting words of George Eliot. I severely miss these trips now that i have finished reading this book . I wish i could say that I thoroughly enjoyed it from the very  beginning. Far from it. The narrative was at first so ridiculously hard to follow, with sentences beginning at the top of a kindle page and seeming to end only at the corner of the next. The characters seemed ordinary and boring or "provincial", to borrow the more sophisticated word from the subtitle of the book - a study of provincial life. Romance as always has the quality to propel the most ordinary of stories forward.  And in this epic we read about as many as three of them. The many small stories in this book are set in the times of the rich landed gentry who seemed to do absolutely no work other ...

The end of an era of love

It's a normal school day and I wake up at 7 am to the sound of my mother coaxing my brother and me to get up.  She has better luck with me as my brother refuses to stir.  I come down to the sound of Bombay jayashree singing 'kanden seethaiyai'.  It's a warm day as usual and my parents are bustling about so as to allow my brother and me the luxury of a few more minutes of sleep.  A tumbler filled with steaming hot Boost awaits me as I reluctantly make my way to the wash basin and the mass of tooth brushes. There are always more tooth brushes than there are people in my house. I methodically scan the bathroom entrance to see if there are any cockroaches visible to the naked eye.  I'm relieved to find none. I make my way to the kitchen and pick up my tumbler. I carry it to the living room, sit myself down on the sofa and try to down the dreadful thing in one gulp.  Somehow I spill it entirely on top of the sofa. The milk starts settling into the cushion. I fr...

Animals and their whims

Animal lovers are often asked to state categorically if they are dog people or cat people. I personally find this choice quite a difficult one to make. The answer to that question , is also supposed to reveal certain hidden character traits. Dog people crave for loyalty, cat people are proud etc.  This sort of psycho-analysis , i will leave to the more intellectually equipped. Truth is , if you know them both well , you cant really pick one. These are some of my my memorable experiences with animals. 1.Having had yet another unproductively long day at work (i am a "software type"), trying to figure out just why my code refused to run even though i had all but whipped it , I was lying on my bed pondering vaguely  about things as random as, trying to acquire a helicopter to avoid traffic like Top Gear's Richard Hammond , whether 25 can be considered a reasonable retirement age, and how car manufacturers, as a rule , always pick the most annoying music to be playe...