Skip to main content

Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi - Book review

 


This post does not contain spoilers.


Once in a while I come across a great book quite by accident , that reminds me how much I enjoy a good story. Jhumpa Lahiri’s Lowland was one like that, which my friend lent to me when I was visiting her and her new baby. The children’s book Wonder by RJ Palacio was another that I would never have read if it weren't for another friend directly sending me a pdf of the book over Whatsapp. Phillip Roth’s The Plot against America was another very good book that was picked up randomly in a book sale when I recalled seeing the author’s name in the news when he had passed. OK maybe this is exactly how most people choose their books and there is nothing accidental or serendipitous about these things, but I’m always pleasantly surprised and gratified when I read a good book that I didn’t actively seek out.


I’ll need to now add Yaa Gyasi’s debut novel Homegoing to this list. It was the pick of my local library’s book club. I currently live in the town of Burlington Massachusetts, and they have a wonderful public library that’s entirely free for all kinds of residents(I say all kinds because this is not something restricted to citizens of the US and someone like me can take full advantage of this). I had always wanted to go to one of these book clubs, just to see what they’re like. But I’d always be too late to either get my hands on one of their books , or if I did get it, I’d just not be able to finish it on time for the meeting.But this time, quite by chance I saw their promotional email the moment it was sent and after a quick Google search about the book,I was immediately interested and asked the library for a copy, which they let me have the very next day.


Homegoing is categorized as historical fiction and is set both in Ghana and in America.It tells the story of the origin of slave trade in Ghana through the characters of two half sisters Effia and Esi . Esi is sold as a slave to work on the cotton plantations of the American South.While Effia leads a relatively comfortable life as the wife of a British governor, the head of the contingent of British citizens who live in Ghana to administer the slave trade with various European countries and the USA.The book follows the lives of the sisters and the children they go on to have and the differing destinies of their respective lineages owing to the circumstances in which they are each born or brought into.


What I’ve known about African slavery in America is only through big hit Hollywood movies (Django Unchained, 12 years a slave), some episodes of Malcolm Gladwell’s podcast about the Jim Crowe era in the South and some news articles. While the movies are excellent dramas and the wonderful actors give you a real sense of what it is like to be an enslaved person, its quite something else to read a book like Homegoing where we are taken through the lives of several characters living though the nearly 250 year time period starting from when the slave trade began in the mid 1700s right up to modern day America where people of color continue to face various forms of discrimination. 


What I particularly liked about the novel is, even though it deals with some of the worst acts of humanity, it never gets preachy or overly weepy. The reader simply bears witness to the sometimes gut wrenching and sometimes bittersweet stories of the characters.This is definitely a hard book to read, almost all of the characters from various periods in history go through different forms of hardship.I had to sometimes put the book away in frustration from there being a total lack of hope at the end of each chapter. But I could not have just given up because on the whole it's a riveting novel and I couldn't wait to find out how it ends. From reviews I’ve read about the book,I got to know that this is one of the first books that fully implicates some of the African tribes in enabling the slave trade.It was fascinating to learn about the some of the different peoples of Ghana - the Fantes , the Asantes and their destructive internal conflicts that work to enrich the slave traders- both the Africans and Europeans.It reminded me of stories of how the British colonizers had aimed to foment the tensions among different castes in India in order to gain further control of the land.


Homegoing is exceptionally instructive without making the reader feel like they’re reading a history lesson. The author has spoken in some interviews about having visited the Cape Coast castle in Ghana which was one of her main inspirations for the novel. I learnt from the book that the British lived in the upper stories of this castle  and kept slaves in the most unimaginable conditions in dungeons below the castle before ships would come to take them away to America. This castle is one of the focal points of the novel as it imagines the stories of the lives of people who lived here or were connected to it in many ways.


Cape Coast Castle - Ghana


One of my favorite parts of this book is the chapter on a character who works almost all of his adult life as a coal miner in America. He was arrested and incarcerated at a time when it was common to arrest Black men for things like, not crossing the street when he saw a white woman walking towards him or looking at a white woman’s face. And we are taken through his life as a prisoner forced to work in sometimes life threatening conditions, deep in the bowels of the earth to extract coal. Mining coal is the only employable skill he has picked up and he decides that's what he wants to do even after being released from prison. The depth of detail in the narration of this character’s story is exceptional and I felt completely convinced that I was reading about a real person. It goes to show the author’s high quality of research and her writing expertise to depict a character whose life must be so entirely different from her own.


I did finish this book on time to attend the book club but I wouldn’t say I had the best time here. I’m not very good with group discussions. It's one of my least favorite things in the world to draw attention to myself when I want to say something in a group. I wished they had gone around in the group in an order  to let everyone have their turn to talk. Obviously in casual groups such as these, no one is obligated to do this. The raise hand functionality on Zoom was ignored completely and people were just talking over and responding to each other. But it was really interesting to hear the perspective of Americans who were sympathetic to the history of the Africans and one who even called out that the White race(hers) should absolutely feel guilty for this part of their history.


If it hasn’t been obvious so far, definitely recommend this book!


Image sources:

Homegoing front cover image from goodreads.com

Cape Coast Castel image from afrotourism.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George Eliot's Middlemarch

For  these past few months , in the evenings after work and on major parts of the weekends, i have been traveling   to 19th century England , to the provincial town of Middlemarch , by the enchanting words of George Eliot. I severely miss these trips now that i have finished reading this book . I wish i could say that I thoroughly enjoyed it from the very  beginning. Far from it. The narrative was at first so ridiculously hard to follow, with sentences beginning at the top of a kindle page and seeming to end only at the corner of the next. The characters seemed ordinary and boring or "provincial", to borrow the more sophisticated word from the subtitle of the book - a study of provincial life. Romance as always has the quality to propel the most ordinary of stories forward.  And in this epic we read about as many as three of them. The many small stories in this book are set in the times of the rich landed gentry who seemed to do absolutely no work other ...

The end of an era of love

It's a normal school day and I wake up at 7 am to the sound of my mother coaxing my brother and me to get up.  She has better luck with me as my brother refuses to stir.  I come down to the sound of Bombay jayashree singing 'kanden seethaiyai'.  It's a warm day as usual and my parents are bustling about so as to allow my brother and me the luxury of a few more minutes of sleep.  A tumbler filled with steaming hot Boost awaits me as I reluctantly make my way to the wash basin and the mass of tooth brushes. There are always more tooth brushes than there are people in my house. I methodically scan the bathroom entrance to see if there are any cockroaches visible to the naked eye.  I'm relieved to find none. I make my way to the kitchen and pick up my tumbler. I carry it to the living room, sit myself down on the sofa and try to down the dreadful thing in one gulp.  Somehow I spill it entirely on top of the sofa. The milk starts settling into the cushion. I fr...

Animals and their whims

Animal lovers are often asked to state categorically if they are dog people or cat people. I personally find this choice quite a difficult one to make. The answer to that question , is also supposed to reveal certain hidden character traits. Dog people crave for loyalty, cat people are proud etc.  This sort of psycho-analysis , i will leave to the more intellectually equipped. Truth is , if you know them both well , you cant really pick one. These are some of my my memorable experiences with animals. 1.Having had yet another unproductively long day at work (i am a "software type"), trying to figure out just why my code refused to run even though i had all but whipped it , I was lying on my bed pondering vaguely  about things as random as, trying to acquire a helicopter to avoid traffic like Top Gear's Richard Hammond , whether 25 can be considered a reasonable retirement age, and how car manufacturers, as a rule , always pick the most annoying music to be playe...